1. Avoid rush hour
Nobody likes to travel in rush hour, and doing so will cost you money. The reason is that stopping and starting your car causes you to use first and second gear, which in turn uses more fuel.
2. Use the car lessThis may seem obvious, and it is, but using your car less, will obviously reduce your fuel consumption. If you can walk, do so, and car sharing is a great option. If you do need to run errands, combine all of these tasks into one trip.
3. Take away the roof rack
If you do not need to use your roof rack, then remove it from your car. A roof rack causes additional weight, and also creates drag which uses more fuel
4. Keep the windows shutThis is especially important when driving at high and constant speeds, such as on the motorway. When you have car windows open, this will create additional drag, resulting in the car burning more fuel.
5. Keep the speed constantWhen travelling, the best speed to drive at is a constant 50mph using either 5th or 6th gear. Slow and steady is the way to go, and you will see those fuel bills plummet.
6. Don't transport heavy loads
A car is just like the human body, in that the heaver it weighs, the more fuel is required for it to run. So lose that excess weight in the boot and only carry what you need.
7. Be gentle with the acceleratorMany people wrongly assume that it is the gear that is responsible for using fuel, but actually, the accelerator is also responsible. When you press harshly on the accelerator, to change gear, you use more fuel. This is were automatic gearboxes can save you money.
8. Check your tyre pressure on a regular basisWhen your tyres are operating under low tyre pressure then they are using more fuel. So check your tyre pressure regularly to ensure that they are the right pressure for your make and model of car.
9. Do not use air conditioningTry to use your car's air conditioning as little as possible. The reason for this is that it uses an awful lot of fuel.
10. Abide by the speed limitThis should always be the case anyway, but in doing so, travelling at a lower speed will actually use less fuel and save you money in the long run.
Autochoice Bristol provides customers with an impressive RAC warranty that covers 3 months plus breakdown cover. with every car that is bought. Learn more by visiting www.autochoicebristol.com/blog/7-factors-that-effect-the-cost-of-car-insurance.